COMMUNITY DISABILITY SUPPORT WORKER
The Community Disability Support Worker is a front-line service role responsible for supporting and facilitating the development of skills and competencies that will assist persons with disabilities in pursuing and fulfilling their personal goals and objectives.
Community Interaction and Planning (% of time estimate)
- Implement person-centred plans to support and assist clients with individual development, disability development, behavior management, and personal care.
- Assisting and supporting clients to participate (in a meaningful way) in their life planning. To assist them with the identification and definition of personal goals and aspirations.
- Assisting and supporting clients in establishing and maintaining shared and respectful relationships within the community, with a view toward meaningful participation and inclusion. These include assisting and encouraging clients to participate effectively in employment, volunteer, recreation, and other social settings.
- Understanding community issues and opportunities and assisting clients with public access and participation in the community.
Situational Awareness (% of time estimate)
- Awareness of the client's physical, social and recreational environments. Taking action when required to minimize risk and maximize participation and inclusion. Assessing situations should be escalated to a supervisor for further planning and discussion.
- Awareness of and adherence to all company policies, procedures, practices, and operational protocols. These include Awareness of and adherence to medical protocols and standing orders for medication and other remedies.
Client Skills Development (% of time estimate)
- Model socially appropriate behaviours (for both the individual and the community). These may include acting as a social or employment role model and supporting (coaching) the client in prescribed situations.
- Working within the community to provide access and participation opportunities where appropriate. Actively seeking alternate avenues for additional services that may be available to the client.
- Assisting, supporting, and encouraging individuals to achieve their personal goals by developing a basic living and related skills and enhancing a client's confidence, competence, and participation within their social network (community, social, recreational, etc.). These include supporting the client's life skill development and academic skill development (if appropriate) and modelling the desired and appropriate behaviours.
- Assisting clients to develop personal home living skills.
Personal Care and Wellness (% of time estimate)
- When required, participating directly in the care and maintenance of the client's home living environment.
- Assisting and supporting clients to advocate on their behalf (when necessary and appropriate) to meet their needs. These may include advocating on behalf of the client. In the case of services to children, this may focus on developing and applying basic socialization skills and assisting individuals to stand up for themselves in social, recreation, and educational settings.
Client Administration and Reporting (% of time estimate)
- Maintaining clear and objective records and preparing reports and other documentation in a professional and timely manner.
- Communicating professionally and accurately with clients, families, guardians, staff, and community representatives.
- Working effectively in a collaborative, team-orientated environment.
While every effort has been made to ensure that this document represents the duties associated position listed above, the list of tasks and responsibilities must be more exhaustive, and the organization reserves the right to change the job description.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- 10-hour shift
- 8-hour shift
- Day shift/ Night shift
Salary: $17.00-$19.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Work Location: One location
Please email your resume to [email protected]