The Cochrane Crime Reduction unit has charged three individuals for a series of break and enters at golf courses across numerous communities in southern Alberta.
Kyle Nechiporenko (37), a resident of Calgary, if facing dozens of charges, including attempted murder with a firearm, discharge a firearm with intent, B&E to steal a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, use of a firearm while committing an offence and use of imitation firearm while committing an offence – along with various other robbery related crimes.
Soleil Wenas (20), a resident of Calgary, has been charged with 16 offences, including break and enter to steal a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and use of a Firearm while Committing an Offence
Various RCMP detachments in Southern Alberta District had been investigating a spree of break and enters which occurred in January and February to golf courses and other businesses in several counties surrounding Calgary prior to announcing the charges on Monday. Cochrane Crime Reduction Unit was assigned the investigation on Jan. 30, 2024.
The investigation identified a male and female who were believed to be responsible for the crimes and a suspect vehicle, a VW Jetta, was identified.
On Feb. 9, 2024, Cochrane CRU, with the assistance of SAD CRU and CPS TAC, officers executed a search warrant at a North West Calgary residence. During this search warrant, a female was arrested and the following stolen property, along with other items, was seized:
- ID’s and ID counterfeiting equipment
- Tools and bikes
- Canadian currency
- Golf accessories
As a result of these seizures, RCMP had the evidence to link the three suspects to the many break and enters they were investigating. The break and enters were at the following locations:
- Silver Willow Sporting Club in Mountain View County;
- Cottonwood Golf & Country Club in Foothills County;
- Sirocco Golf Course in Foothills County;
- Redwood Meadows Golf Course in Tsuut’ina;
- Priddis Greens Golf Course in Foothills County;
- River Spirit Golf Course in Calgary;
- Winter Green Golf Course in Rocky View County;
- Water Valley Saloon in Water Valley;
- Serenity Golf Club in Rocky View County;
- Kananaskis Country Golf Course in Kananaskis; and
- Livingstone Golf Course in Rocky View County
After Judicial Interim Release Hearings, both were remanded and will be appearing in Alberta Court of Justice in Didsbury on Feb. 12, 2024.
The third female, who was arrested at the residence, was charged with Break and Enter and Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000. She was released on an Undertaking to appear in Alberta Court of Justice in Cochrane on March 12, 2024.